Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Product Review: Too Faced Shadow Insurance

Reviewer: Cinnamon Kitten

Brand: Too Faced
Name: Shadow Insurance
Size: 11 g / 0.35 fl oz
Price: approx. $24 CAD / $18 USD

When I ran out of my Urban Decay Primer Potion, I was determined to try another product as I was completely fed up with the fancy genie bottle that the UD primer came in. I found that so much product was wasted, I didn't want to waste my money on such annoying and wasteful packaging.

So for Christmas, I asked for (and received!) the Too Faced Shadow Insurance. It came in a handy tube, was silicone-based and the writing on the package promised to save me from "all fading, creasing, melting, blurring, oil-slicked shadow disasters."

It also says that it "locks [eyeshadows] down perfectly until you take it off. This soothing formula evens out the skintone on your lids and smoothes lines while securing a barrier between the oils of your skin and your makeup, so no shadow catastrophes will ever happen again...and it's concentrated: the size of a rain drop covers the entire lid."

To Purr About:
- a very tiny amount does take care of the entire lide
- doesn't mute eyeshadow or eyeliner colours
- if given ample time to dry, does last most of the day

Claws Out:
- very oily upon application and takes awhile to dry
- if it didn't dry completely before applying eyeshadow, my colours were creased by the end of the day

Final Comments:
This one took a while to get right. It's very oily-feeling when applied, although a teeny amount does give great coverage. After application, you have to really give it time to dry before applying any eye makeup. On days when I was rushed and didn't give it enough time to dry completely, I found my eyeshadow/eyeliner had faded and creased halfway through the day. On the days when I was more patient (very rare in the mornings) my eye makeup did last until the end of the workday, but not much longer. I almost always had to re-apply my eyemakeup before leaving the office at the end of the day if I wanted the same look I left the house in that morning.

In either case, the colour of the eyeliner/eyeshadows were pretty true to normal and weren't faded by the primer.

Although it's good on days when I'm not doing too much and for short trips, the Shadow Insurance definitely does NOT have the last power that my Urban Decay primer did. For the price, which is the same as the Urban Decay (for roughly the same amount), I'd go for UD, even if you have to really dig to get 1/5 of the product out of the genie bottle (or, like me, buy the huge Urban Decay Primer Potion Pro Version, that comes in a tube).

Rating (out of 5):




Disclosure: This item was purchased by Cinnamon Kitten

image: sephora.com

5 comments:

Suziesaurus said...

Thanks for the review! Have a fav face primer?

Heather said...

I just saw that Sephora is selling the UD lid primer in a new squeeze tube, like the Two Faced one. I've been putting off trying the UD one, because of the packaging. I think I'll switch from the Two Faced (which I am using right now) to the Urban Decay!

~Cinnamon Kitten~ said...

Suziesaurus - I've tried several good ones, including NARS, Smashbox and Quo, but my favourite has to be the Primer with SPF by NARS - a light cream (with SPF!) in a tube. Unfortunately, you can't buy it in Canada yet.

Heather - I know! I was in line with my UD primer in the genie bottle, because I just couldn't live without it even though I hated the packaging and as I was standing in line I saw the UD in a tube! It's quite a bit bigger but I was soooo happy! I didn't even care that I was spending more money - UD Primer in a Tube? Sign me up!

Anonymous said...

I so much prefer the UDPP. Seriously, its the better product. My eyelids dont crease at all. TFSI its and average one, unfortunately it didn’t do much for me:(
My own review here:
http://lila.pixavue.com/2011/09/too-faced-shadow-insurance-primer-base-a-paupiere-review-revue/

Alicia Graham said...

Very nice and simple product review. Easily readable.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...