Sunday, September 19, 2010

Prolonging the Urban Decay

I have a love/hate relationship with the Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion.

While I absolutely LOVE the staying power of the primer and have yet to find a better product to help keep my eyeliner and eyeshadow in place, I hate the packaging.

The cute "genie bottle" packaging has a lot of curves to the design, which for anyone who's ever used the product, it means the primer is very difficult (read: impossible) to get out.

In recent years, they re-designed the wand so that instead of a straight applicator, the tip of the applicator is "bent", which, in theory, meant that you could be able to reach into the fat curvy parts and get more product out.

A few weeks ago, I reached the "end" of my bottle of primer, and for another week, did my best to scrape out any remaining product that I could with the applicator wand. After a few final days with next to nothing coming out, I cracked open the package (a messy process in itself) and managed to get out GOBS more primer, which I sealed up in a a little bottle. If you plan on doing this yourself, have something ready to store it in - the primer dries up really quickly when exposed to air.



Since I use very little primer each day, the amount that I salvaged after I couldn't get any more out the usual way is probably enough to last me a few more months! (I'm going to see exactly how much longer the extra primer I dug out lasts me)

So, beauty gals - what do you think? Should Urban Decay forego the cute bottle and come up with something that doesn't make us waste so much product (and spend more money) or is that part of their scheme? It seems like a total waste to me.

Have you used the UD Primer potion? Do you crack it open like I do? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'd go for practical packaging! functionality anytime girl!

Anonymous said...

That is loads of wastage! OMG I bet it cost a lot too!

Isabella said...

I hate when 'fancy' packaging (I prefer a more functional design) makes it so hard to get the actual product out. I don't know if that's a scheme to get you to buy more products faster, but I'm with you - crack open the bottle if you have to, but get it all out! I've done that a few times with things like hair products and especially foundation. Messy, but I find I can get a LOT more product out and it lasts me another few months at least.

House of Wilcox Rock!!! said...

I passed on the UD primer because of teh packaging. I am now using the NARS primer and I love it! Especially because the stuff does not change the color of my skin!
I have also used and liked the Two Faced primer in a tube!

Canadian Daily Deals.com said...

they actually started making this in a professional tube now, which is a squeezy tube, no need to depot anymore. Not sure if the pro packaging is limited edition or not however.

~Cinnamon Kitten~ said...

House of Wilcox - Will have to take a look at the NARS Primer. I LOVE their face primer, so may become a fan of their eye primer as well...

CanDailyDeals - thanks for the heads-up! I haven't seen the pro package yet (but I haven't really been looking since I still had so much primer left) but will look for it next time I'm shopping!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...