Friday, January 04, 2008

Product Review: E.L.F. Nail Polish

Reviewer: Cinnamon Kitten

Brand: E.L.F.
Name: Nail Polish
Size: 0.35 oz / 10 ml
Approx. Price: $1 USD

Shades Tried:
- Dark Red

I was a little skeptical about E.L.F.'s new nail polish. It promises a "colour-lock formula and chip-resistant shield gives long lasting nail colour with high shine. The aerodynamic bristle design glides colour on flaslessly, while the quick dry formula gives perfect application every time."

I purchased 2 polishes (it's $1 for a full-size bottle - how can you not like that???), and decided to give the darker shade a try first since it would be easier to notice chips and streaks faster.

To Purr About:

- cute bottle design (yes, there's a plastic "drippy" piece on the bottle)
- thin formula glides on quickly and easily
- metal ball inside to help keep polish from clumping (I think this is a plus as I've bought other brands that don't have this ball inside the bottle)
- dries very quickly
- almost no streaking
- I applied 2 coats and skipped the top coat to see what would happen. I didn't see any chip until the 4th day of wearing and it was a tiny little chip on my index fingernail (keep in mind, between my job, surfing the internet and this blog, I type A LOT)
- the colour was really nice and dark, pretty true to what I saw in the picture
- you can't beat the price

Claws Out:

- the plastic "drippy" piece is cute, but completely useless
- I found that because the polish is a little "thin", even after 2 layers, the colour wasn't as deep as I preferred (it matched the website image better after 3 coats)
- the 2nd time I applied this polish, Toronto was in the midst of a deep freeze and the polish chipped the morning after application after my commute to work, so I think it's more brittle in colder weather

Final Comments:
No matter how great this polish sounds, it's still no match for OPI, but for $1, and for the variety of colours (E.L.F.) currently has 18 different polish shades), you really can't go wrong. If you're the type who likes to change their nail polish on a weekly basis (or more) and like me, can't afford to get a manicure all the time, this is a great, inexpensive way to have some fun and add some colour to your nails. Not the best polish in the world, but I gave it a good rating because it's a great value and much better quality than all other "discount" polishes I've tried in the past.

Rating (out of 5):




If you have a product that you've tried and would like to write a review, send me an email! Details on how to submit a review can be found in the left-hand sidebar.

image: eyeslipsface.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i recently picked up: L'oreal Pro Manicure Nail Polish & am really impressed by it. Dark colours only require 1 coat! But the price is around $5.

Marie. said...

I LOVE ELF polishes, I recently started using a top coat, but I've never used one for ELF polishes and I don't usually chip until day five.

I do however live in CA and it's warmer here so maybe you're right about the cold weather thing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...