Monday, January 12, 2009

Product Review: Out of Africa Shea Butter Body Oil

Reviewer: Cinnamon Kitten

Brand: Out of Africa
Name: Shea Butter Body Oil
Size: 8 fl. oz / 240 ml
Price: approx. $24 USD

Scent Tried: Grapefruit

"Loaded with pure unrefined shea butter and infused with avocado, sweet almond and oilive oils that transport your skin to new levels of luxury and moisture. This high performance formula glides on smoothly while quickly and deeply penetrating into the skin. The quick drying formula is never greasy and leaves skin with a soft, sexy sheen." (from the NARS site)

Available in Unscented, Grapefruit, Lavender or Verbena.

Always on the hunt for the next big thing to make my skin super soft, I rarely find any moisturizers or creams that live up to my criteria of a product that delivers maximum moisturization with minimal greasiness and super-fast absorption.

Plus, you can feel good about purchasing Out of Africa products. This line's natural, unrefined shea butter products are handmade in Benin, West Africa and help to create jobs at women’s co-ops. Out of Africa also contributes 3% of all sales to School Children Unite, an initiative that helps provide education to children in West Africa.

To Purr About:
- all natural ingredients
- comes with both a spritzer pump top or a screw-on spout for a choice of application
- works best right after a shower/bath, when skin is still damp
- did leave my skin really soft and smooth after it dried

Claws Out:
- grapefruit scent is a little too strong for me (Unscented would probably be my choice) and has a woodsy smell to it
- does not absorb as quickly as I would have liked
- leaves a greasy feeling that I kind of expected since it's an "oil" product

Final Comments:
Although I love the all natural ingredients and the philosophy of Out of Africa, I wasn't blown away with the Shea Butter Body Oil. It doesn't absorb completely and leaves that oily, greasy feeling that I get from many other body oils, and is usually the main reason I don't use body oils. I can't deny that it does leave my skin very moisturized, but it's a trade-off.

For those of you that love body oils (and I have a few friends that swear by them), this is a great product as it does deliver a big boost of moisturization and skin softness.

Check out the Out of Africa web site for more information.

Rating (out of 5):



If you have a product that you've tried and would like to write a review, send me an email! Details on how to submit a review can be found in the left-hand sidebar.

image: outofafricashea.com

1 comment:

Makeup Theory said...

I have really super dry skin, so I think I'd like to give this a try. Thanks for reviewing it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...