Thursday, June 09, 2011

Cinnamon Kitten Q&A with Minna of UNII Cosmetics

Q&A Session with: Minna, Founder of UNII Cosmetics

How Cinnamon Kitten discovered UNII Cosmetics
Minna had previously sent me a sample of the UNII palette to review and I fell in love with the look, practicality and idea behind the palette. You can check out my original review of the UNII Palette here.

* * * * *

Tell us a little about yourself and what inspired you to start your own company.

As a makeup enthusiast, I had a pretty eclectic collection of makeup. I was getting tired of carrying around what seemed like dozens of little eye shadows and blushes in one clunky bag and then just throwing away the empty makeup cases once all of the powder had been used up. So around 7 years ago, I figured out a way to consolidate my makeup into one case that would not just allow me to have my favorite brands and shades in one case but that would hold refills therefore eliminating excess packaging. I studied architecture and design in college which influenced the functionality and design of the palette. I wanted to create something that was aesthetically beautiful as well as user friendly and efficient.

Tell us about UNII Cosmetics.

UNII Cosmetics launched about a year ago with the goal of providing functional products that are also beautiful.

Have both of you always had a fascination with beauty products?

Yes and no. I loved exploring and discovering new makeup and beauty products while in high school. However, while in college and grad school, my focus shifted and I enjoyed learning about design. I took classes in design, manufacturing, business, and engineering. The UNII Palette is an intersection of these two interests.


Besides UNII Cosmetics, what else occupies your days?

UNII Cosmetics is increasingly taking up more of my time. I make sure to make time for things I love like yoga and catching up with friends. I look forward to making some time for travel, hopefully soon.

I love my UNII Palette, but tell me why you think my readers NEED to have one as well...

Personally, more than anything else, my UNII Palette saves me time. I can access all of my favorite products quickly without having to rummage through my bag or open and close multiple little containers.

The beauty industry is constantly changing. How do you keep on top of trends?

Being from outside the beauty industry, I have a lot of learning to do. I find the best place to learn about trends is from my customers. Feedback from my customers is so valuable and helpful. I can get a sense of what is available, what is lacking, and where things are headed. YouTube and blogs are also a great place to learn.


Besides your own line, what brands have made it onto your favourites list?

I like to try new things so this is hard... But the items that have stayed with me for a long time include MAC eyeshadows, Burt's Bee's Bees Wax Lip Balm, and my Shu Uemura Eyelash curler.

What are 3 beauty products you can’t live without.

MAC Gel Eyeliner, Amlactin body lotion, lip gloss.


What’s in store from UNII Cosmetics for 2011?

We are excited to expand the UNII line! Based on feedback from our customers, we will be coming out with different color and sized palettes. Please stay tuned!

* * * * *

You can shop UNII Cosmetics online here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...