Monday, July 23, 2007

Product Review: Almay Smart Shade Blush

Brand: Almay
Name: Smart Shade Blush
Size: 15 mL / 0.5 fl oz
Price: $12.99 CAD / $9 USD

Shade Tried:
- Berry

I really wanted to try Smashbox O-Glow - it seemed like a really cool product, but when it launched it was sold out at the Sephora I went to and then afterwards, when the hype died down, I couldn't bring myself to pay the $35 pricetag. The small sample I got at the store wasn't that convincing either, as it was so bright PINK.

So when Almay brought out it's own "colour-changing" blush, I was skeptical, but when I saw it on sale for $9.50 CAD, I figured it was cheap enough and gave it a try.

Almay says that this product "contains microscopic shade-sensing colour beads that are activated when you apply the product" and it "transforms into a shade that complements your skin tone."

To Purr About:

- the shade I brought was the deepest one (the others being Natural and Pink). When it comes out of the tube, it's a pale-ashy pink colour, but once on the skin it turns into a lovely deep rose
- creamy and easy to blend into the skin
- the deep rose of Berry was subtle and looked like a natural flush on my skin
- the colour isn't too bright or dark but if you prefer a deeper colour you could layer on more
- the blush lasted well through the day

Claws Out:
- it takes a little practice to get the application down, as you have to work quickly - if you leave it in one spot, it turns darker on that spot and if you rub too hard, the product disappears off your skin completely
- I wear mine over my powder foundation and under my finishing powder, but if you use any liquid products (ie. foundation) you may have to work harder at blending and not rubbing out other makeup
- this takes longer to apply to get the amount of colour I want compared to my usual blush products (MAC's Powder Blush and Erth Minerals Mineral Blush)

Final Comments:
I was really pleasantly surprised at how well this product worked and how happy I was with the results. This does change colour after application and the flush I end up with is natural looking and lasts quite a long time - generally a little longer lasting than my powder blushes. However, sometimes when I'm being lazy in the morning, it's easier to sweep a powder blush over my cheeks quickly than to deal with the blending and layering it takes to get the Almay Smart Shade Blush looking just right.

That all said, this is something I would use, and the price is much easier to deal with than the other "smart" blushes out there.

Rating (out of 5):




If you have a product that you've tried and would like to write a review, send me an email! Details on how to submit a review can be found near the top of the right-hand sidebar.

image: almay.com productreviewalmay

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...